Men's Shaving Tips From The Experts at Martial Vivot
Men’s Shaving Tips From the Experts at Martial Vivot
Let’s face it, we’ve all been shaving since we were teenagers but still somehow can get knicks and cuts all over our skin. You’d think it was our first time with a razor but in reality we’ve all been doing it for years. So could we be shaving all wrong?? Well why not learn the proper techniques from the experts themselves? Here are some simple shaving tips from expert stylist, Jerome Obry, of the upscale men’s salon in NYC, Martial Vivot Salon Pour Hommes where their professional and luxurious shaves range from $85-$150 (talk about treating yourself to the full luxury experience – image a glass of bourbon in your hand and a hot towel on your face!). But if you can’t afford a $100 shave a few times a week, these helpful hints will give you that professional clean shave look to try at home!
- Preparation is everything.
- I recommend a face scrub once a week with a very soft exfoliant to remove the extra dead skin layers. This also prevents bumps and ingrown hair.
- Before shaving always make sure to warm up the skin (after your shower or with a hot towel). This softens the beard and opens the pores.
- With or against the grain?
- Always shave with the grain first. For a closer shave, go against the grain or across for sensitive skins.
- Moisture is key
- Keep the skin moist throughout the whole process. I like to use the Martial Vivot Beard & Face Oil for the second pass because it’s moist and you can see-through the product for a more precise shave.
- After the shave – cool down
- One of the most important things to do after the shave (that many guys don’t know to do) is to cool down the skin with a splash of cold water or even better a cold towel. The colder the better! This closes the pores, prevents from redness and it wakes you up in the morning!
- Don’t forget to moisturize
- Lastly, you need to moisturize again with a few drops of oil (I use the Martial Vivot Beard & Face Oil).
Expert Stylist: Jerome Obry
"A master class in the proper shave.” - Vanity Fair
About Martial Vivot:
Martial Vivot is a world-renowned gentlemen’s grooming guru and owner of the Martial Vivot Salon Pour Hommes on Manhattan’s West 54th Street. Touted by the New York Times as “the gentlemen’s barber for many of the city’s most powerful” and “the best in the city” by GQ, he is arguably the city’s preeminent men’s stylist.
Foreseeing a dramatic evolution in men’s grooming on the horizon in the 90’s, Vivot became a pioneer in Europe for what would eventually be coined the “metrosexual” approach to men’s grooming. Predicting the rise of the men’s salons, Vivot launched his Salon Pour Hommes in 2008, the first men’s salon in New York City to offer a high caliber of full grooming services paired with privacy and the masculine environs men desire.
In 2013, Martial Vivot launched The Martial Vivot Grooming Collection, including Shampoo, Conditioner, Gel, Paste, and Crème. Most recently, the line has expanded to include a Beard & Face Oil. The collection is available at Barney’s New York and MartialVivot.com.